Thursday, December 22, 2011

inside and outside

In my experience, my mother valued the indoors for one purpose - reading. She loved to read.
Otherwise, why stay indoors? Everything she loved was outdoors: her cows, her garden, her sailing, her hiking...
Years ago, I arrived late at night in Sorrento, Maine, having driven a ruthless 8 hours with 4 young ones, ages 5-10. Exhausted, I pulled in to Guestwick to find: no food in the refrigerator, unmade beds, and - in my perhaps warped memory- not even enough eating utensils for everyone. ... It was so startling to realize that my mother didn't even notice that anything was missing. In fact, I believe in the end that I was the only one who did. The next morning, the children were swept outside to the magic of the shore, the boats, the islands, the trails. The outside. Mom/Grandma shared what she loved and the children fell in love with her Maine, too.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, Mrs. Heyward takes with her one more spirit of a bygone American culture. Alas, now we can all look forward to the UVA Foundation shutting the rest of us out of our beloved Foxhaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Matthew. And thank you. I keep thinking of the poem, "Fern Hill." I never thought I would wake to see the farm forever fled . . .

    ReplyDelete