Thursday, December 22, 2011

dairy farmer Mom

In the 1970's, I had the privilege of accompanying my mother on a trip to New Zealand where she was attending one of the world Ayrshire (cow) Association meetings. Up until then, I had thought that the extent of Mom's association in the farming world was the people who helped her on her farm or who she knew through breeding. Little was I prepared for the fan club on the airplane from LA to Aukland. The association must have booked the flight for the US group. Person after person was so thrilled to stop by our seats and chat with my mother, so pleased to finally meet her in person. For years, she wrote a column in the magazine, the Ayrshire Digest. On that airplane, she was the star. Prior to that flight, I had no idea how many people appreciated her offerings - teaching them about breeding and milking and organic farming.
~Salley

No comments:

Post a Comment